A diary entry is the best way to really put yourself in a characters shoes. What would they think about the day they have just had? Remember to write the diary using 'I' not the characters name or 'she/he.'
After reading the book/watching the film, write a diary entry for Charlie (or one of the other characters: Augustus Gloop, Veruca Salt, Mike Teavee or Violet Beauregarde) about their visit to the Chocolate factory.
- start your entry 'Dear diary,'
- write in paragraphs (with 6-8 sentences per paragraph)
- write as the character (using I not their name or he/she)
- write in the past tense (watched, ate, played, visited)
- describe not only what you saw but also what you felt
- use lots of adjectives (describing words) and similes (as ___ as a ____) (____like ____)
- use neat joined up handwriting
- use a variety of punctuation
- use capital letters at the start of sentences and for proper nouns
- proof read and improve your work once finished
Keep your own diary and write in it at the end of the day about what has happened that day.
Unfortunately not the ones with chocolate chips.
Our cookies ensure you get the best experience on our website.
Please make your choice!
Some cookies are necessary in order to make this website function correctly. These are set by default and whilst you can block or delete them by changing your browser settings, some functionality such as being able to log in to the website will not work if you do this. The necessary cookies set on this website are as follows:
A 'sessionid' token is required for logging in to the website and we also use a 'crfstoken' token to prevent cross site request forgery.
We use Matomo cookies to improve the website performance by capturing information such as browser and device types. The data from this cookie is anonymised.
Cookies are used to help distinguish between humans and bots on contact forms on this website.
A cookie is used to store your cookie preferences for this website.Cookies that are not necessary to make the website work, but which enable additional functionality, can also be set. By default these cookies are disabled, but you can choose to enable them below: